Toenail infections are quite common and these are not very serious conditions. However, if it is causing you a lot of pain and if you are bothered by its appearance, you should consider getting it treated on time. In case of a toenail infection, your nails will get discolored, weak, and cracked. In some situations, they may even get separated from the root. There are various causes due to which you can get toenail fungus Bakersfield such as not keeping your feet clean, the development of a small crack in your nails, walking barefoot in dirty areas, etc.
Table of Contents
- Thick and hard nails: When you develop a toenail infection, the infected nail becomes more thick. It may appear distorted and cracked. It will even hurt when you try to trim it.
- Discolored nails: This is one of the best symptoms that help you identify if you have toenail fungus. In most cases, the infected nail will turn yellow, green, brown, or black.
- Weak and crooked nails: Due to fungal infection, your nails may become brittle which will make them weak and easy to crumble.
- Bad odor: Due to the fungal infection in the nails, you may experience an unpleasant smell because of the presence of bacteria and fungus in the cracked region of the nail.
- Detached nail: If your infection gets severe and if it is not treated on time, the affected nail may become weak, get loose, and separate from the bed. This situation is also known as onycholysis. If you become the victim of such a situation, you must get the proper treatment on time or else you will put the infected region susceptible to further damage.
- Discomfort: Toenail fungus can cause pain while walking, running, or even sitting. Whenever you apply pressure on the infected region, you may feel a lot of pain. You might stop wearing shoes or stop going for a walk.
The treatment of toenail fungus requires patience and it can be a very long and costly process. Although there are various over-the-counter creams available in the market, not all of them are effective. Your doctor may advise you to take some oral medications such as terbinafine, fluconazole, etc. In some very rare cases, the doctor may choose to remove the entire nail and replace it with an uninfected one.
Hence, it is very essential to keep in mind that the above symptoms of toenail fungus must be treated on time, and for that, you must consult qualified healthcare professionals for a proper diagnosis.